jdbc failover to standby question

From: Sue <sschoch1_at_nycap.rr.com>
Date: 5 May 2004 10:50:02 -0700

I'm having a problem understanding how TAF to a standby database in jdbc would work. I currently have a production database with a standby database. I understand that I need to set some failover settings in the tnsnames.ora file and use the thick java jar files. What I don't understand is exactly how this would work.

Suppose I have database on machine A and standby on machine B with TAF set up in the tnsnames files on both machines. Now suppose I have a jdbc app running on machine C. If machine A fails, how does my jdbc app access the tnsnames failover information? How does it know to go to machine C? Does this only work if machine A stays up with the listener running? Can anybody shed some light on how this works?

Sue Received on Wed May 05 2004 - 12:50:02 CDT