Re: Doing some housekeeping -- is this legit?

From: Paul Brewer <nothing_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 20:23:33 +0100

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:4096cd7b$0$32558$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> Ed Stevens wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >
> > But I would assume that it is still considered 'best practice' to
> > alter SYSTEM's (the user) default TS as soon as you get the database
> > on it's feet, to prevent the prevent the inadvertent introduction of
> > other (mostly very non-essential) segments into the SYSTEM ts?
> >

> Yes, change it. DBAs have a habit of logging on as SYSTEM to do the
> most mundane asministrative task, and it would be a good idea not to
> allow such work to accidentally introduce extra stuff into SYSTEM (the
> tablespace). But the stuff that's already there, leave there (I think
> you might find it is unsupported to move it).
>
> Don't alter SYS's default tablespace, though.

My general practice is to lock the accounts SYSTEM, OUTLN, DBSNMP and so forth immediately after database creation, and to keep them locked. Since Oracle7 days I have changed SYSTEM's default tablespace to TOOLS a.s.a.p., (before running pupbld), but left SYS's default tablespace as SYSTEM, and changed SYS's temporary tablespace to TEMP. BTW, IMHO, in sensible databases you can only connect to the SYS account as SYSDBA, and you can only do that from the console.

My 2 cents again.

Regards,
Paul Received on Wed May 05 2004 - 14:23:33 CDT