Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: rkusenet <rkusenet_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 15:30:41 -0400

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote

> > Beside its an opensource and supported by community, what's the fundamental
> > differences between PostgreSQL and those high-price commercial database (and
> > some are bloated such as Oracle) from software giant such as Microsoft SQL
> > Server, Oracle, and Sybase?
> >
> > Is PostgreSQL reliable enough to be used for high-end commercial
> > application? Thanks
>
> PostgreSQL is highly overrated and not suitable for any environment
> where little things like crash recovery and security are a priority.

Why postgresSQL?? Why don't u say that all RDBMS except Oracle is highly overrated. This way u don't have to fear about ur job for any foreseeable future.

Your attitude reminds me of the attitude Americans had towards outsourcing some 4/5 yrs ago. At that time all they could do is to arrogantly dismiss outsourcing as unsustainable model. We all know what happened to them today.

I see lot of similarity between movement towards outsourcing few yrs ago and now movement towards open source database. US companies, after achieving cost savings thru outsourcing will next turn their attention to money guzzling enterprise software like RDBMS. How long do you think it will take them to realize that most of them don't deserve the price tag they pay.

See ya after 3 yrs in Bangalore :-) Received on Tue May 04 2004 - 14:30:41 CDT