Re: Creating/Moving datafiles on Networked Drives?

From: KevJohnP <nospam_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 17:31:35 +1200

Tom wrote:

> I'll admit right off, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it
> comes to Oracle...anyway...
>
> We're "evaluating" 9i, rel 2, installing it on a fresh server. The
> point of this evaluation is to see if we can install the Oracle DB
> here in the lab, and have the actual data reside "somewhere else" (in
> a department that actually has the money to maintain and BU a SAN).
> This mystery department has given us access to TB's of disk space, but
> the only way we can get to it is via mapped NW drives, over the campus
> fibre BB. So during the DB creation wizard for dummies process, I've
> tried telling it to make the datafiles on this networked drive. Not
> happening. So in enterprise manager, I've tried making a new datafile
> on the networked drive. Not happening. Tried UNC and drive letter. Not
> happening. I can, however, move and create datafiles all day long on
> the local drive. Now...I'm sure that Oracle, and the rest of you
> DBA's, have figured out how to make Oracle work in a SNA
> environment....anyone want to share the wealth of knowledge? And...for
> those of you that are going to reply "call your Oracle DBA....", I AM
> the (reluctant and unwilling)Oracle DBA. THis is state gov't baby!
> Efficiency at its best!
>
> Thanks in advance....
>
> Tom Colson,
> North Carolina State University

The problem will most likely be becase the Oracle config assistant creates an NT service to do all the work of the database server. As is default with NT services this will run as local admin, not a domain user and will not be able to see any network shares (this is generic NT stuff rather than Oracle stuff).

If you did the whole database create manually, which would include creating the NT service using the oradim utility (then subsequently changing the service logon property to a domain user before running the database create), you could probably get around this.

However as mentioned, give that a DBA has to maintain performance, availability, security and supportability this design pretty much falls down on all four counts. Even for something non-critical, such as an evaluation this is probably not a good platform to start with. Received on Mon May 03 2004 - 00:31:35 CDT