Creating/Moving datafiles on Networked Drives?

From: Tom <tom_colson_at_ncsu.edu>
Date: 2 May 2004 14:12:28 -0700

I'll admit right off, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to Oracle...anyway...

We're "evaluating" 9i, rel 2, installing it on a fresh server. The point of this evaluation is to see if we can install the Oracle DB here in the lab, and have the actual data reside "somewhere else" (in a department that actually has the money to maintain and BU a SAN). This mystery department has given us access to TB's of disk space, but the only way we can get to it is via mapped NW drives, over the campus fibre BB. So during the DB creation wizard for dummies process, I've tried telling it to make the datafiles on this networked drive. Not happening. So in enterprise manager, I've tried making a new datafile on the networked drive. Not happening. Tried UNC and drive letter. Not happening. I can, however, move and create datafiles all day long on the local drive. Now...I'm sure that Oracle, and the rest of you DBA's, have figured out how to make Oracle work in a SNA environment....anyone want to share the wealth of knowledge? And...for those of you that are going to reply "call your Oracle DBA....", I AM the (reluctant and unwilling)Oracle DBA. THis is state gov't baby! Efficiency at its best!

Thanks in advance....

Tom Colson,
North Carolina State University Received on Sun May 02 2004 - 16:12:28 CDT