Re: Oracle Export while insertion

From: Anton Dischner <nospam_at_nospam.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:57:42 +0200

Hi,

for me running a 'shared nothing' set of 2 identical databases without archive log the following comments seem a bit harsh.

I do an logical backup with consistent = yes under nearly full load in the nighttime.

Doing archivelog would produce tons of archivelog -files for me. -> no way for me.

To answer the question of Ursula:

> I would like to ask if we can do Oracle Export for backup while the
> insertion is still occurring?
>
> Is there a great impact on this?

No, as long as your rollback-segments/tablespace are big enough.

> Problem is we can't stop the process but want to do the Export for
> backup at night time.

You don't have to.

> $ORACLE_HOME/bin/exp pwd/pwd PARFILE=expParam

Advantage with a logical backup is:

User xyz wants a table which he has deleted some time ago -> no real problem.

Import it with a newly temp-Oracle user and use imp fromuser=xxx touser=yyy

kind regards,

Toni Received on Tue Apr 27 2004 - 07:57:42 CDT