Re: How to start using Oracle 8.0.5

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:52:55 GMT

Nuno Paquete wrote:

> Hi group.
> I've installed Oracle 8.0.5 and everything worked well during the
> installation.
> The problem now is when i try to start any service, for example
> "Enterpride Manager", a window pops up asking for username, password and a
> service name.
> I don't know what to put inside "service", and if I leave it empty, an
> error message apears, telling that the service is unknown.
> I'm putting the standard username and password (I think it is): scott
> (user) and tiger (pass)
> Do I have to create a new user account? How can I do it?
>
> I wondering if someone can help me.
>
> Regards,
> Nuno Paquete.

First - 8.0.5 is obsolete. Acceptable is 8.1.7, mainstream is 9.2.0.? and current is 10.x After all your hard work to install, I almost hate to suggest it - but UPGRADE!

Next - go to http://www.dizwell.com and look at the Linux installation documentation. Don't necessarily try to do everything, just read it.

Then look at http://otn.oracle.com/obe/start for a tutorial (on 8.1.7)

Then do to http://docs.oracle.com and read the Concepts manual - thoroughly.

/Hans Received on Fri Apr 23 2004 - 18:52:55 CDT