Re: Multiple installations of oracle on a single unix system

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:50:23 +0200

"VK" <v_katamneni_at_hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:f052d60a.0404221002.3c0ed7ba_at_posting.google.com...
> Any precautions I need to take before I install more than one database
> on a single unix system?
> Thanks for your help.

Some people coming from non-Oracle databases think they need 1 database per schema.
In Oracle, You donīt. You just need 1 instance that can carry many schemas. That saves also a lot of RAM, You would just have 1 SGA instaed of many.

You provide no info, but the only reason to install more than 1 Oracle db on 1 machine
would be when You want to play around with version differences, maybe of 8i, 9i and 10G.
Then You could use multiple Oracle Homes.

hth, Jan Received on Fri Apr 23 2004 - 04:50:23 CDT