Re: Oracle9i and Red Hat Enterprise AS 3.0 max file size

From: Tanel Põder <change_to_my_first_name_at_integrid.info>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 00:57:54 +0300

> The max file size for an Oracle database is 4,194,303*DB_BLOCK_SIZE. So
> if you have DB_BLOCK_SIZE=8K, then your max file size is 32GB. This all
> assumes that your OS platform will support a file this large. Knowing
> this, increasing your DB_BLOCK_SIZE obviously has an effect on your max
> datafile size, but you aren't even approaching this limitation yet.

Even though you were talking about 9i here, I'll just add a comment that in 10g the single file size restriction is claimed to be 2**32-1 = about 4 billion blocks, if you use new bigfile tablespaces. The max filesize will thus be 128TB, meaning that with 65535 datafiles (which is theoretical limit starting from 8.0) you could have a database a bit less than 8 Exabytes.

I haven't had a chance to test it though, still saving money for the storage ;)

Tanel. Received on Wed Apr 14 2004 - 16:57:54 CDT