Re: Oracle9i and Red Hat Enterprise AS 3.0 max file size

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:20:32 GMT

> 1. Does the size of the DB_BLOCK_SIZE have anything to do with the OS
> file size limit? If so, if I increase the DB_BLOCK_SIZE to 16 or 32K
> what is the maximum file size that I can create?

The max file size for an Oracle database is 4,194,303*DB_BLOCK_SIZE. So if you have DB_BLOCK_SIZE=8K, then your max file size is 32GB. This all assumes that your OS platform will support a file this large. Knowing this, increasing your DB_BLOCK_SIZE obviously has an effect on your max datafile size, but you aren't even approaching this limitation yet.

> 2. What is the maximum file size that Red Hat Enterprise AS 3.0
> supports?

I've created 20GB datafiles with AS 3.0. You might want to check that your filesystem will let you create sufficiently large enough datafiles.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com