Re: Interesting Coments from SGI's High Performance Solutions Manager

From: Stu Charlton <stuartc_at_mac.com>
Date: 13 Apr 2004 08:41:53 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<4071e581$0$20085$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...

> cluster-based solution. Most customers do not have the very homogenous
> workload the functions best on a cluster... We have yet to meet a customer
> in business or research that [wouldn't find it] possible to accomodate
> [their] variable workloads efficiently and with much more flexibility
> without the headaches that you get with a cluster".

A lot of this depends on the kind of cluster. SGI's is cc:NUMA if I recall.

If you look at website loads, it can be done well either way: Google is massively clustered, Amazon.com isn't. Different applications, of course....

Any horror stories with IBM's Parallel Sysplex? Didn't they get it right?

Cheers
Stu Received on Tue Apr 13 2004 - 10:41:53 CDT