Re: Creating datafiles for 500GB database

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:39:53 +1000

On 11 Apr 2004 18:45:34 -0700, Sandy N <urockblue96_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been entrusted the responsibility of creating physical
> structure of a datamart. Approximate size of the database would be
> 500GB. It will work on windows server. Till now I have been working
> mostly working with around 10 - 20 GB databases.
>
> Any indicators as to how much size I should go with the database files
> ? I was thinking of creating 50 10GB files. Does it sound feasible ?
> Any thoughts would be helpful.
>
> Regards
> Sandy

Generally, the unit of backup and recovery is the data file, so to my way of thinking 10GB is too big. I prefer no bigger than 2GB. And 250 data files would not be outrageous for a database (though you'd want to make sure you didn't let the default MAXDATAFILES control file sizing parameter kick in: it's 30!

Regards
HJR

Dizwell Informatics: http://www.dizwell.com
  -A mine of useful Oracle information-