Re: 2 databases but 1 oracle home

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 14:18:24 +1000

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 03:47:28 GMT, bobray <quasimodo_at_genghis.com> wrote:

> Howard, explain yourself.

Well, I might, if you could try being less rude.

> When you have 250+ Oracle databases, 128
> terabytes of data in those databases...and several HP Superdomes....with
> ridiculous amounts of RAM and CPU....why would you think 65 dev and test
> databases on a Superdome is "criminal insanity" ? Frankly, it's not
> remotely
> insane. As far as I'm concerned it's an easy job. I can understand how
> the
> scale of the setup might scare ya'...but it's really no big deal.
> Production lives in it's own world completely separate from dev and
> test...and is locked down tighter than a drum.

Do you have a problem reading?

Quote: "So long as they're ALL dev and test I could sort of, maybe, possibly, understand it".

But I have to ask: how realistic is the platform on which you test or develop, if it is as you describe? Because I would deem it criminal insanity to develop code on a stressed multi-instance box but yet expect it to perform anywhere remotely like it would do in production on a single-instance humungously-resourced box. Unless you are shipping system statistics back and forth, that is. Meaning that there's a risk of developing code that works brilliantly in one environment, only to have it perform like crud in the production environment for which it was intended.

The further worry on my part is, that development/production impedence mismatch aside, that your production servers support anywhere near that level of concurrent instances. There is, for example, always the problem of senior management: "Well, you run it all on a single box in development. Why can't you do the same in production?". Which might well not be true for you, in which case give yourself a pat on the back. But the general observation still stands.

HJR

Dizwell Informatics: http://www.dizwell.com
  -A mine of useful Oracle information-
          -Windows Laptop Rac-