Re: 2 databases but 1 oracle home

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 12 Apr 2004 15:02:33 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<opr59x8ycg3d8uqx_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...

> But I have to ask: how realistic is the platform on which you test or
> develop, if it is as you describe? Because I would deem it criminal
> insanity to develop code on a stressed multi-instance box but yet expect
> it to perform anywhere remotely like it would do in production on a
> single-instance humungously-resourced box. Unless you are shipping system
> statistics back and forth, that is. Meaning that there's a risk of
> developing code that works brilliantly in one environment, only to have it
> perform like crud in the production environment for which it was intended.

I think this is a necessary risk once you get to a certain size. It is nearly impossible to duplicate such a production environment realistically. All you can do is approximate with some explain plans and outlines and then watch it real closely. Then change the inevitable screwy hints.

Don't know about 10, but I wouldn't be productioning it now anyways.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://projectoutsourced.com/