replication of partitioned tables

From: p944 <pa_garbage_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 23:06:12 +0200

Hello

We have a large database that contains 2 partitioned tables each with 200 partitions. The partitions are recylced after 200 days. Every day about 15,000,000 rows are inserted in the partition of the day while data in other partitions get updated twice a month.

Now I want to replicate some columns of the 2 tables to another database to be used for online selections. It has to be fast and give a low load on the master. To be able to keep less or more history the number of partitions on the slave may vary so I probably need a horizontal selection also.

I am thinking of a read only snapshot with a selection of the columns I   need but I am wondering how to handle the partitions on the slave. What would be the best approach, creating every day a new partition and deleting partitions after X days or keeping a buffer of Y partition and rotate them. However, how to add extra partitions if I need to keep more history.

I never used replication before so tips with command examples are welcome.

thanks for reading, Paul Received on Sat Apr 10 2004 - 16:06:12 CDT