Re: Oracle on Linux hints and tips

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 01:57:52 GMT

Adam Monsen wrote:

> 1. /etc/tnsnames.ora MUST have UNIX line endings. If you see ^M
> characters at the end of every line when you do 'cat -v
> /etc/tnsnames.ora', execute the command 'dos2unix /etc/tnsnames.ora'
> (I've seen sqlplus fail because of this but not issue a warning)

[...]
> Anyone have any corrections/additions/comments/suggestions?

If you want support from Oracle Corp. you won't edit the TNSNAMES.ORA file by hand or copy if from one disparate platform to another. ;-)

Officially, you're supposed to use the Net8 config assistant native to your platform, which will avoid this problem.

Realistically, as you have discovered, the newline convention in the Unix world differs from that in the WinDOS world (and guess which one came first!) If you "ftp" the file using the default transfer mode (ASCII), that will also avoid this problem, as well as the "dos2unix" and "unix2dos" utilities that you mention.

--Mark Bole Received on Fri Apr 09 2004 - 20:57:52 CDT