Re: Oracle on Linux hints and tips

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 21:28:59 +1000

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 01:57:52 GMT, Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net> wrote:

> Adam Monsen wrote:
>
>> 1. /etc/tnsnames.ora MUST have UNIX line endings. If you see ^M
>> characters at the end of every line when you do 'cat -v
>> /etc/tnsnames.ora', execute the command 'dos2unix /etc/tnsnames.ora'
>> (I've seen sqlplus fail because of this but not issue a warning)
>>
> [...]
>>
>> Anyone have any corrections/additions/comments/suggestions?
>
> If you want support from Oracle Corp. you won't edit the TNSNAMES.ORA
> file by hand or copy if from one disparate platform to another. ;-)
>
> Officially, you're supposed to use the Net8 config assistant native to
> your platform, which will avoid this problem.

In the absence of some quoted authority on that point, I have to say that sounds deeply, deeply unlikely.

TNSNAMES is a text file. Text files are text files because text editors can be used to edit them.

When I worked for Oracle, I taught many a class to do precisely that.

If they weren't going to support that sort of editing, they'd make it a proprietary binary file, a la the spfile v. the init.ora.

Unofficially, the Net* Config Assistant is a convenient tool for knocking things up from scratch, and that's about it.

HJR

Dizwell Informatics: http://www.dizwell.com
  -A mine of useful Oracle information-
          -Windows Laptop Rac-