Re: OEM 2.0 alert setup

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 04:08:53 GMT

Frank wrote:

> I am trying to implement a full automation monitoring alert system
> which can page me when any kind of problems happens in my Oracle
> server under Windowss 2000.
>
> Can you direct me to best practice guideline to setup this system by
> OEM ? thanks for help.

Save yourself huge quantities of grief ... ignore OEM 2.x and go straight to OEM 9i that is included with Oracle9iDB R2.

Set up a separate database/instance for DBA/OEM use - in a production environment, set this up on a separate machine if possible. (A nice P1000 with 512M Ram and 20G HD - a $300 machine - will do for a modest OMS environment.)

Then fire up the OEM Management Server (OMS) on that machine and the 'intelligent' [sic] agent on the machines to be monitored.

Finally start up the console and connect to the OMS instead of the database. By going to OMS it automatically gives you 'Jobs' and 'Events' capability - Events are your monitors, and Jobs are the responses (such as restart).

/Hans Received on Tue Apr 06 2004 - 23:08:53 CDT