Re: Article about supposed "murky" future for Oracle

From: Bricklen <bricklen-rem_at_yahoo.comz>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 15:18:03 GMT

JEDIDIAH wrote:

> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.databases.oracle.server.]
<snip>

> The lack of replication, clustering, hot backups & point in time
> recovery make Postgres a toy. It's simply not robust enough for
> critical deployments.
>

>>is rather more than a "toy" these days. You talk of slander yet seem
>>to be second to none in the bias department.

> Postgres is suitable if your data is completely disposable.

One benefit of postgresql that I've noticed is that is it remarkably easy to write code to handle the backup and recovery of the db automatically. We had a remote client where we had to set up such a process and it worked fine. To back up pg, you just dump the db to a file, then only a few simple steps are needed to recreate the whole works automagically.

disclaimer: pg is nowhere near Oracle in functionality, but it does have it's uses for certain things. Received on Fri Apr 02 2004 - 09:18:03 CST