Re: Oracle 9iR2 backup/recovery problem

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 1 Apr 2004 17:02:42 -0800

news_holger_at_yahoo.com (Klaus) wrote in message news:<981f8cae.0403312240.2528c239_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi, i have some problems testing backup/recovery.
> Situation:
> - database is in archivelog mode.
> - i did a hot backup (rman) of the whole database and
> of the archivelogs to a disk file (controlfile
> autobackup is on).
>
> I tried to check, if the restore process is working
> in the following way:
> - I set up an new system on a different pc
> - i created a database using oradim
> - i used rman to recover (without catalog)
> * startup nomount
> * set dbid...
> * restore controlfile from autobackup
> * restore database
> * recover database
> Recover database succeeds with a warning message saying
> "cannot find archivelog file thread 1 sequence 512".
>
> So my questions are:
> - how can i determine what archivelog file seems to be missing?
> - how can i find the name/location of the backup file required?
> - if i don't actually have the requested archivelogs, how can
> i reset the database so i will be able to open it (i already
> tried: recover database until sequence 512 thread 1; which
> results in: ora-01194 datafile 2 (undotbs01.ora) requires
> additional recovery)?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Klaus

Important to state version/platform information! Some RMAN versions have a bug where they forget to backup the logs generated during the backup. So first thing to try is copying those to your restored arc destination before restoring. Some have a bug where they get 1194 from a corrupt block. Did you archive the current logfile with RMAN? Are you using the DUPLICATE command? Are you using a catalog in the backup (nocatalog saves the info in the control file)? Have you tried SET UNTIL? Look in the original db's alert log to see what logs are generated when, and check against the RMAN backup listing of what it got. Also, the v$log_history view is useful.

Also, review the difference between creating a database and what oradim does.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"I wish them luck, but I don't see it succeeding.  Hard-core