Re: Backup trends: HOT or COLD

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 19:15:24 GMT

> Ok I see you point and your are right, the problem is some customers don't
> want to pay the effort of migrating to a newer database software.

I fully appreciate that. I've worked on many legacy systems were the mantra was "don't touch it". For those systems, it didn't make sense to make any modifications even though the technology was light years behind the current flavors of the day.

But then again, I've been able to successfully convince some managers that an upgrade, even though it may cost money, is worth it in the end by all of the money that would be saved over the longer term. Without assigning any real monetary values...if your DBA is spending 50% of their time managing the system, and upgrading would cut down their efforts down to 25% of their time, and it only takes on full month to do the upgrade, then doesn't this save money in the long run? If it does, then it should merit serious consideration. If it doesn't save money, then from the business perspective, it makes no sense. But in that vain, one also needs to estimate the monetary value of assuming risk of an older, unsupported version. What is the chance that some event will happen that I need Oracle Support to help me fix? And what does it cost my business if I can't get support to fix that problem because I didn't upgrade.

In the end, it is all about business decisions, with pros and cons. Someone has to weigh the bottom line impact to the business when considering to upgrade or not.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com