Re: Backup trends: HOT or COLD

From: Königer Stefan <koeniger_at_ssi-schaefer-noell.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 06:45:06 GMT

> The software may not need all of the new fancy features, but your DBAs
> might want some of them! Today's Oracle DBAs don't have to worry about
> managing rollback segments, work area sizes, extent sizes. And that was
> just with 9i! Oracle 10g makes the DBAs life even easier!!! By forcing
> the app to run on an old Oracle version, the vendor is constraining the
> customer to more costly support of their RDBMS.
>
> And support from Oracle is another matter. I've seen systems that ran
> fine for many, many years. Then one day, a nasty problem comes up that
> wasn't there before. Then what do you do? The first thing Oracle Support
> will tell you is to upgrade.

Ok I see you point and your are right, the problem is some customers don't want to pay the effort of migrating to a newer database software.

They bought a solution and don't mind what underlying database is used. All of the DBA tasks are done by our staff. It is hard to convince customers of paying money for an upgrade without any new features on application level.

But we are off topic.

Stefan Received on Thu Apr 01 2004 - 00:45:06 CST