Oracle FAQ Your Portal to the Oracle Knowledge Grid

Home -> Community -> Usenet -> c.d.o.server -> SAP Implementations

SAP Implementations

From: Euan Garden[MS] <>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 07:57:43 GMT
Message-ID: <XXPac.53167$JO3.34338@attbi_s04>

C'mon Daniel you are making accusations and not providing any supporting facts other than rumours/second hand information and when I offer to help resolve it you find a reason to reject the offer.

If Microsoft paid anyone $500,000 last year I would not know about it, that's good business sense.

What are you asserting on this thread ? As it appears to me you have gone from a blanket statement that we run our corporate business financials SAP on Oracle, to a statement that we have Oracle employees and Oracle Software somewhere on campus, to a statement that we are running _part_ of our SAP implementation on Oracle.

If the current assertion from you is that I will take you to the wrong people, then let me know who you want to see and I'll see if I can set it up. I presume your contacts can tell you the names of some of the admins of this system and that's not going to compromise their confidence? Send it privately if you don't mind as sending the names/alias's of MS employees across Usenet without their consent will certainly violate their privacy.

If you want lets take this off Usenet and then post the results of the discussion back to the group. If you are not willing to try and bring this to conclusion by having some real evidence, then I will leave this thread alone, disappointed that its accepted here to produce statements with no backing. That will not do some of the rest of this thread justice where there have been a couple interesting discussions regarding locking and versioning amongst the noise. I was especially impressed to see the level of Yukon knowledge in here :-)



Euan Garden
Product Unit Manager
SQL Server Development
Microsoft Corporation

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Daniel Morgan" <> wrote in message

> Euan Garden[MS] wrote:
> > No I can't state that and I'll explain why, however you are digressing
> > your point in this thread. Your point was that Microsoft runs its
> > financials(SAP) on Oracle and you claimed to have evidence, I am saying
> > is not the case. If you want to change the discussion to is MS running
> > Oracle software anywhere, then I would ask that you retract the previous
> > statement and issue the new one ,as you are not willing to bring your
> > original point to conclusion with us.
> >
> > Ok now to your request for my statement, let me explain a couple of
> > and scenarios why that can not be the case.
> >
> > 1/ MS Campus is huge(as you well know) with 10,000's of employees, there
> > could well be an Oracle employee and some Oracle Software on campus for
> > of the scenarios below, in an office somewhere. I don't know the
occupier of
> > every office on campus and therefore can not state what you ask. It may
> > the case that there are none but without knowing for sure I am not going
> > make that statement.
> >
> > 2/ Oracle is a partner of MS in several areas. We provide OLEDB, ODBC
> > Managed Data Access to versions of Oracle because our customers request
> > I am presuming we have copies of Oracle to be able to do that testing
> > development, I don't know if they were loaned, purchased, leased or any
> > other mechanism of acquiring them. I am presuming we have worked with
> > in building these drivers in terms of getting tech support for the APIs
> > There may or may not have been an Oracle employee on site to help with
> > I know for a fact that at Microsoft we send on site engineers for
> > support/advice for customers and partners writing software to work with
> > platform. I am presuming that Oracle has a similar service.
> >
> > 3/ Oracle is also a partner in that their software runs on Windows, we
> > closely with many companies whose software runs on windows, they have
> > to labs on campus and for many of them they have staff on campus to help
> > them build their products on Windows. Oracle may or may not have that
> > of service, as a member of the SQL Server team I am not privy to windows
> > partner arrangements.
> >
> > So for that reason I can't state whether we have or have nor purchased
> > software and I can not state whether there are Oracle employees on
campus or
> > not.
> >
> > I know this is not the answer you requested but are you willing to
> > this? Basically I can't state it because I do not have 100% knowledge.
> >
> > Regards
> And if Microsoft wrote a check to Oracle Corp. for in excess of
> $500,000 last year you think that would fit any of the above
> three scenarios? I don't.
> The problem with your offer is that I know full well some of
> your SAP is on SQL Server: I also know that some is not. It
> seems your offer is pointless as you can take me where you wish,
> show me what you wish, and I will not violate confidences
> from your employees just to prove a point.
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)
Received on Thu Apr 01 2004 - 01:57:43 CST

Original text of this message