Re: 8i to 9i migration, performance issues

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 07:12:41 +0000 (UTC)

Note in-line

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland  http://www.index.is/oracleday.php
June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar

"VC" <boston103_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I should have been more precise in my wording. The no_unnest hint does
sort
> of work if placed in the subquery but the resulting plan, for more-or-less
> complexx queries, is not as good as with the rownum>0 trick The rownum
> trick creates a plan identical to what we had under 8i.
>
> In case you wanted to see the query, I've sent it to you via e-mail.

I've sent a note off-line about the query and plan, but thought I'd mention here that your query included a UNION, and Metalink note 144967.1 (which was last revised about 4 weeks ago) includes this comment: <<quote>> A specific exmaple is where we have 2 tuned queries containing subqueries which are then joined by a union. Because the union forces the data to be sorted to remove duplicates, the query is converted to a UNION ALL and a DISTINCT keyword is added. These changes mean that the resultant view is now non-mergeable allowing semi or anti joins to be contemplated. If these are chosen then there may be performance differences compared with the un-transformed query. <<end quote>> It almost looks as if it were written to address your problem, although in your case, the default plan ended up with one unnest and one semi-join.