Re: Oracle 9IAS -vs- Apache

From: Cris Carampa <cris119_at_operamail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:11:08 +0200

Ken wrote:

> We are running Oracle 8 with OAS (Oracle's old web server).
> We are not planning to upgrade our database soon, but we would like to
> switch to Apache for our web server ASAP.
>
> Can someone offer insight into what we should consider when choosing
> between Oracle's version of Apache versus the standard Open Source
> version of Apache 1.3 .

First of all, in which language are your applications written? If they are written in Java, you can use opensource software, but if they are written in PL/SQL you have to buy Oracle Application Server (there is no such thing as a stand-alone version of Oracle's Apache).

If with "Oracle 8" you mean 8.0.x, please notice that the higher Application Server version that is certified for this Database Server version is 1.0.2.2.x. Please check out Metalink for platform availability.

Kind regards,

--
Cris Carampa (spamto:cris119_at_operamail.com)

Le tre "i" di Berlusconi: insicurezza, ignoranza e imbroglio.
(Riccardo Orioles)