Re: Multiple oracle Homes on one Server : 8.1.7 & 10

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 08:20:58 -0600

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:44:52 +0200, "Frederic Hoornaert" <Frederic.Hoornaert_at_transics.nospam.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I just want to know if it is technically possible to install Oracle 8.1.7 & Oracle 10 on the same server while users can connect to both databases without having to change any parameters on the server.
>The server is a Win2K server and has currently installed Oracle 8.1.7. We would like to install Oracle 10 in a seperate home.
>
>Is this possible ? What are the restrictions ? Do we need to use the oracle utility to switch homes? Or can we just use two seperate listeners, one for the Oracle 8i and one for the Oracle 10 server ?

Yes, it is possible. As a rule, you don't even need two listeners. (There may be specific compatibility issues between 8.1.7 and 10g that I'm not aware of) Just run the listener of the highest level Oracle home and make sure it knows about the other databases. Received on Tue Mar 30 2004 - 08:20:58 CST