Re: Excessive Logical and Physical I/O

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 19:07:42 GMT

> > If I need to be corrected, then I need to be corrected.
>
> Oh well, in that case... do something about that paper showing 50%
> improvements in speed because of an index rebuild!!! ;-)

I was waiting for someone to take me to task for that paper....I wrote that paper many moons ago, so the information is dated. And I don't go back and update my papers every time I learn something new. I had been meaning to add some more information to that paper, but just havn't gotten around to it yet. Your comments prompted me into action today. If you go to my website (http://www.peasland.net), you will see that I did add an addendum to that white paper.

> In my book, a
> transaction needs to be as big and as long as it needs to be, and if that's
> very big and very long because that's the logic of what a transaction is in
> your business, then so be it.

Definitely. I've always subscribed to the theory that a transaction is "one logical unit of work". So the start of the transaction to the COMMIT or ROLLBACK should reflect that unit of work, not 1/2 or 1/8 or 1/999 units of work.

Cheers!
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com