Re: ORA -16014 - Error in archiving, no available destination

From: srivenu <srivenu_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 24 Mar 2004 23:07:05 -0800

>So would you now care to correct your first statement above?
I have to correct the statement for 9i.

For 8i
show parameter log_archive_dest_1

NAME                                 TYPE
------------------------------------ --------------------------------
VALUE
log_archive_dest_1                   string
location=/u02/app/oracle/produ
ct/8.1.7/admin/xxx/arch

  1 select *
  2 from v$archive_dest
  3* where status <> 'INACTIVE'
SQL> /    DEST_ID Status BINDING NAME_SP TARGET Reopen ---------- ---------- --------- ------- ------- ------ DESTINATION

FAIL_DATE FAIL_SEQUENCE FAIL_BLOCK Error
--------- ------------- ---------- --------------------
         1 VALID      OPTIONAL  SYSTEM  PRIMARY      0
/u02/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/admin/V817/arch
                      0          0

Part of 8i doc
REOPEN
If you do not specify integer, the default value is 300 seconds. If you do not specify REOPEN, the archiver process will never reopen a destination after an error.

Metalink Note
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=FOR&p_id=588322.999

Part of it attached below

From: Oracle, Abhijit Shroff 25-Nov-03 02:22 Subject: Re : LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_N OPTIONAL REOPEN

Julien,

REOPEN=n sets the minimum number of seconds before ARCn should try to reopen a failed destination. If you specify REOPEN, it has a default value 300 seconds. If you do not specify REOPEN, it has the value of 0, which is the same as turning off the option. If you do not specify the REOPEN keyword, ARCn will never reopen a destination following an error.

I did not know that things have changed in 9i (But they have). in 9i, if REOPEN is not given it is being taken as REOPEN=300 whereas in 8i if REOPEN is not given it is being taken as REOPEN=0

>You seem to make a habit of ignoring the actual evidence I post,
obtained by
>means of repeatable tests.

Sorry if you take it that way. I'am here to learn things and nothing else.
regards
srivenu Received on Thu Mar 25 2004 - 01:07:05 CST