help with recovery

From: daveb <davebest_at_SuPsAaM.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 15:39:44 -0800

We have a small test database (9.2.0.1 on Windows 2000) and the hard-drive just fried. Should be no biggie since we have create scripts for the schema. But now we find we need some of the test data...no db backup on that, d'oh. But it turns out that we have a copy of the oracle directory.

The question is how to access it. I did a fresh Oracle install on another machine and created a database of the same name, and ensured it was accessible.
Copying over the old oracle\oradata directory didn't work, so I also copied oracle\ora92\database. Still no go. I get ORA-12523: TNS: listener could not find instance appropriate for the client connection.

I figure I'm missing something related to the control files, but am in over my head at this point.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Received on Tue Mar 23 2004 - 17:39:44 CST