Re: Problems installing Oracle9i on Fedora with 256 RAM

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Mar 2004 16:47:00 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<405878a0$0$8359$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Fedora is, to coin a phrase, a steaming pile of ... er, well, you get the
> picture.
>
> It doesn't install as a Vmware guest. It won't install onto my (very much
> physical) laptop.
>
> This despite Mandrake 9, Mandrake 9.1, Suse 7.2, Suse 7.3, RHAS2.1, RHAS3,
> RH8, RH9 and Xandros all installing perfectly onto both.
>
> I thought Microsoft got a bad name for making their users beta test their
> software?!
>
> And yes, I know Fedora is the "experimental" branch of the Red Hat tree. But
> I think in the context of Oracle I would leave the experimenting to others.
>
> Regards
> HJR
Howard,

someone was nice enough to post this on the ORACLE-L today:

  1. There is a new 4.5 version of VMWare Workstation (dated 15 Mar 2004) that now additionally supports:
  2. RH Enterprise 3.0 as a Guest OS
  3. Support for SuSE LINUX 9.0 as a Guest OS
  4. Updated LINUX support for 2.6 kernels, and some advanced features in RH 9 as a Guest OS.
  5. Support for Netware 6.5 as a Guest OS.

The complete Guest OS info can be viewed at: http://www.vmware.com/support/guestnotes/doc/index.html

RedHat 9 is listed, Fedora is not.

hth.

Paul Received on Wed Mar 17 2004 - 18:47:00 CST