Re: Multi Threaded server not working for many inserts?

From: Royco <bla_at_bla.nl>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:12:43 +0100

> Again, why do you say MTS is a problem? Until you stated that you have
> *tested* the *same* connection and SQL via a dedicated server and that
> it worked, you have no evidence that MTS is to blame.
Exactly.....
Running the same SQL in SQLPlus/ with both instances configured as dedicated no problems whatsoever. A lot of our pro-C and pro-Cobol programmes are using databaselinks in a dedicated server-setup for as long as I can remember (more the 10 years now).

Configure MTS on both instances and the same SQL from SQLPlus creates a not respronding database.

 > So have you tried it with dedicated server yet? And if not, why not?
> That should have been the *first* thing that your DBA should have done
> when the assumption was made that MTS is too blame.
see above..

> And I find it hard to believe that "tracing does not work". Have you
> enabled SQL tracing for that session? Have you enabled Net tracing?
Our DBA 'sees' the SQL 'arriving' in the target database but that's it.

> > Furher 'investigation' made us find out that a 'pull' mechanisme works
fine.
> > So
> > insert into tableA_at_instanceA select field1, field2, field3 from
> > tableB_at_instanceB
>
> Not really a valid test. In one case the INSERT trans is local and in
> the other case it is distributed. This does not proof much and
> provides very little ito isolating the error.
> Troubleshooting 101. Do short incremental tests to isolate the error,
> or discard that which can potentially cause the error.
>
> --
> Billy

Well I do think that a

    insert into tableA_at_instanceA select field1, field2, field3 from tableB_at_instanceB
is rather 'basic' .

But it seems you are very skilled in pissing people off as if you have all the knowledge in the world and think of others as being 'new-bees' because they have a problem.

Roy Received on Wed Mar 17 2004 - 07:12:43 CST