Re: MS SQL Server Evaluation

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:30:54 +1100

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1079397033.657655_at_yasure...
> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> > "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
> >
> >>Different countries different priorities perhaps. Here TAF is a bigger
> >>issue.
> >

> > Not sure how it can be that big an issue, considering it does sod-all
and
> > works only when the prevailing wind is from the west on alternate wet
> > Wednesday afternoons with a full moon. But whatever. I know it gets
better
> > in 10g.
>
> Actually it gets just fine in 9.2.0.4 if you actually write decent code.
> Meaning code that traps for commits, etc.

What I meant was that it only works for selects, doesn't preserve session variables, and requires large dollops of OCI to be in the picture, meaning that thin java is out etc etc. Dunno what commits are being mentioned for. TAF doesn't work for DML.

> > "My dear CFO. You have been gulled by Oracle marketing. Were things
really
> > as easy as bolting on another 8 cpu box as the need arose, I would
naturally
> > have recommended that particular solution. But it isn't. The additional
> > costs associated with the extra code layer that RAC brings are
potentially
> > immense (I believe they're known as "bugs" in the trade)
>
> Dear Ex-employee:
>
> Played a round of golf last Saturday with a couple of my buddies from
> over at Amazon.com and they said ... we're not having any problems
> perhaps you need to hire better people and get them some training.
>
> Poorly trained staff is not an Oracle bug. RAC isn't easy. I'm not
> saying that it is. But it can be done successfully and for far less
> money than that 16 CPU box. BTW ... when you need to fail-over that
> 16 CPU box ... you need a second one.

Have you got shares in Oracle or something Daniel? I can only construe wilful refusal to face the fact that the world doesn't begin and end at Amazon in that light. There are plenty of organisations around the world which have *design* and *coding* and *administration* hassles with RAC.

You don't address any of those issues I raised. You just keeping quoting Amazon at me. It therefore seems to be a waste of my time to keep responding to you on the matter with actual substantive points.

Unless of course you'd actually care to *deal* with minor details such as indexes, partitioning, sequences, freelist & freelist groups, the difficulty of developing for a RAC environment without actually having a RAC environment and so on.

But anecdotes from one site don't cut it. Especially as that site is clearly a-typical.

HJR Received on Mon Mar 15 2004 - 19:30:54 CST