Re: 2-node 9iRAC --> 2nd instance performance problem

From: Ernest Siu <ernestsiu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 Mar 2004 16:31:29 -0800

One key thing I left off is: I'm using a WAN emulator (BSD DummyNet) between the two 9iRAC nodes, however with only 0ms delay (yes, I intend to run some distance test later, but I don't expect it to have trouble with 0ms). No distance element at storage level. I know this is out of the ordinary, but I believe it should at least work with a 0ms emulator (given that the emulator works properly). I suspect there's something wrong with the DummyNet box in terms of network setting....

I'm looking into 3 items, the time_waited for: gcs remote message, ges remote message and rdbms ipc message. Performing the same query of SELECT 1000000 rows:

               ges re-msg  gcs re-msg  rdbms ipc msg  Time-to-perform
0ms Bad Box    848132      1691930     5918365        8480 seconds
0ms Good Box   5808        11455       35281          56 seconds

The time-waited is proportional to the actual performance. Hmm... I suspect there's something wrong with the network setting on the DummyNet that it doesn't like. What could it be: MTU, Window-size, Duplex? Or the setting on the 2 hosts?

Ernest Received on Mon Mar 15 2004 - 18:31:29 CST