Re: MS SQL Server Evaluation

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:41:48 -0000

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1079138269.352310_at_yasure...
> An application does not need to be designed for RAC. But it does
> need to be designed to scale. They are not different things. To
> expect a poorly designed piece of v7 PL/SQL to run efficiently on
> RAC is no different from expecting to run efficiently anywhere
> else: Garbage is garbage. RAC just has a way of shining a bright
> light on it.

I see a lot of this sort of remark from advocates of RAC (or indeed many other new technologies). The selling point of RAC is that it gives near linear scalability and reliability no matter what your application - that is how it is sold. If the reality is (and I honestly think that it is) that your average off the shelf business software solution (think SAP,Peoplesoft,SIEBEL etc) will actually suffer under RAC, then the reality is that buying RAC would be a poor idea. I'd actually be interested to see how well Oracle Financials (say from 2 or 3 point releases ago) runs on RAC.

RAC seems aimed (as does EE) at the Amazon's and BellSouth's of this world. Which is fine for them but makes it marginal technology. Amazon or Boeing are not typical cases.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA