Re: single table hash clusters in 9.2 - anyone tried them out yet?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 08:18:53 +0000 (UTC)

Note in-line

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland
June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar

"Paul Drake" <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Steve suggested that Oracle's hash algorithm was not sufficient in
> uniqueness, and that a primary key (such as a sequence) would provide
> a better source for the hash.
>
> In one of the block dumps, he showed a case of where the hash was not
> unique, which unsets a flag which represents that all rows in the
> block are unique. If that flag is set, oracle knows that it has a
> unique mapping between the hash and the row.

That covers all the points he showed us in Denmark.
> This is on a block by block basis, so a single non-unique mapping of
> hash value to row is not catastrophic.

That statement is a little misleading. If there is no collision (i.e. there is a unique mapping) then the row access is a single latched 'examination'. If the flag is set to show that a collision has occurred, the row has to be acquired with a normal double-latched get and full block scan. I haven't quantified the difference (yet) and the circumstances where this would make a difference worth worrying about, but it is likely to double (at least) the resource requirements on each access to that block.
> thanks again for the excellent presentations.

My pleasure - the Hotsos conference is probably the most exciting one I do all year, so I'm pleased to be there.