Re: Can an O9.2 client see an O10g DB?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:17:00 +1100

"Chris Allen" <donoteventrytospamme_at_thisaddress.com> wrote in message news:cKGdnahF6PAolsjdRVn-sw_at_adelphia.com...
> In the Windows version of the the Oracle 9.1 SQL*Plus, the message I get
> when I try to connect to the Linux-based O10g database is:
>
> ORA-12541: TNS:no listener
>
> Over on the Linux box, I can run SQL*Plus with the instance's SID and get
in
> without any problem, so the SID info seems OK.
>
> Any thoughts?

And have you set up a listener on the server, and is it actually running?

Because that error message means that your server name and IP address is resolvable from the client, so that's not the issue. And it means your service alias is resolvable also. So that's not the issue.

But when your client arrives at the server, it is either simply not finding the listener because you haven't started it, or it is looking in the wrong place for the listener (ie, the port number is wrong).

Do a lsnrctl status on the server and establish precisely that it is (a) running and (b) what port it's running on.

Then check your tnsnames.ora on the client and make sure it references the correct hostname and the correct listener port.

Then come back to us if none of that still works.

Regards
HJR Received on Sun Mar 14 2004 - 21:17:00 CST