Re: RAC alternatives: do you have suggestions? (HELP!)

From: FM <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:57:52 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:
> FM wrote:
>

>> This RAC has to deal only with simple select and insert sql statements.
>> They are in the form of:
>> select column from table;
>>
>> the high workload is only in the number of connections and in disk I/O.
>>
>> However the system is a SUSE Linux Enterprise Edition 7 and the DB is
>> a 9.2.0.4
>> No oracle consultant was able to fix the bugs. The usual reply is
>> "this is bug yyyy: please, apply the xxx patch" but recently we have
>> terminated the available patches...
>>
>> In this moment my company is only seeking good alternatives.
>> We gave up with RAC systems
>>
>> Fabrizio Magni
>>
>> fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com
>> replace mycontinent with europe
>>
>> Daniel Morgan wrote:

>>> Most of the time ... the problem isn't RAC it is the code being run on
>>> it. What version of Oracle, what Linux, and what was the app?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

> What was the point in trying RAC?
>
> High availability?
> Fail over?
> Build-out rather than build-up to save money?
>
> Without knowing the purpose a recommendation can not be made.
>
> What versions of Linux and Oracle were you using in your attempt with
> RAC?
>
> Between the Solaris and AIX solutions ... I'd go with AIX. But I
> would be willing to bet I could make your current Linux RAC system
> as stable for a lot less money.

As I stated above I'm running a 9.2.0.4 on a SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 7 (kernel 2.4.19).

We used RAC because the DB is the core of a critical architecture and it seemed the righ solution for HA, failover and loadbalancing.

Several oracle consultant and freelance claimed to be able to make the system stable but so far all failed.

Still I'm here for alternatives.