Re: Dependencies between Packaged Procedures

From: Daniel Roy <danielroy10junk_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 13 Mar 2004 18:51:13 -0800

> I've inherited a database for maintenance and further development
> WITHOUT ANY DOCUMENTATION of the existing code...!!! Now there are so
> many packages flying around that if any one procedure's signatures
> would have to be altered for any further development, we dont know
> what all places it'll break.. and it will surely help us take a stock
> of how code-flow is moving within backend... so i was looking for some
> ideas how to go about it as i could not find any source regarding the
> same.
>
> TIA
Invalidation of a package or procedure because of an altered dependency is usually not such a big deal, as recompilation is automatic the next time it is invoked. I agree that it will slow things down, but it has to happen only once after each invalidation. The thing I would look more careful for is invalidated code which doesn't recompile afterwards, which can happen for a variety of reasons (dropped column still referenced, renamed column stil referenced by its old name, ...). If there's not too much code, you can try to recompile the invalid packages/procedures manually, and make sure it recompiles OK.

Daniel Received on Sat Mar 13 2004 - 20:51:13 CST