Re: 2-node 9iRAC --> 2nd instance performance problem

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:09:27 -0800

Ernest Siu wrote:

>>What storage hardware? Firewire? NAS? SAN?

> SAN.
>

>>What version of Oracle ... to the 4th decimal place?

> 9.2.0.1.0
>

>>Have you run explain plan on both nodes?

> No... I'm sorry but I don't know what this is.
>

>>What is different between the two nodes?

> The two boxes are Dell 1650 W2K AS pretty much built from identical
> image and set up from there. The only difference is that the OK node
> has RAC installed first and the not-OK node was the 'passive' node
> that got stuff copied over.
>
> The system is not tuned at all and I realize the performance's not
> great but at least I should see comparable results. That's what I
> don't understand.
>
> The init.ora stuff are pretty much identical on both sides.
>
> Maybe one of you can suggest me on what to look for in terms of
> differences between the 2 nodes? I'm really new to this...
>
> Ernest

I'd suggest patching to 9.2.0.4 as there are critical RAC fixes. Second go to http://www.psoug.org/reference/library.html and look up Explain Plan. This is a core skill that you must have to do anything much in Oracle.

Pretty much identical isn't worth as much as a snow cone in a winter blizzard. Make everything absolutely identical.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu