Re: Morgan's Problem D'Jour

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:26:10 -0800

Brian Peasland wrote:

> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>

>>Yes Oracle documentation has got me again. Here's the problem.
>>
>>=====================================
>>Oracle 9.2.0.4 on W2K SP4
>>
>>SQL> ALTER OPERATOR contains COMPILE;
>>
>>Operator altered.
>>=====================================
>>
>>Ok so we know the operator exists and is valid
>>Then we try to comment it with.
>>
>>=====================================
>>SQL> COMMENT ON OPERATOR contains IS 'Returns 1 if True, 0 if False if a
>>string or number contains a
>> different string or number';
>>COMMENT ON OPERATOR contains IS 'Returns 1 if True, 0 if False if a
>>string or number contains a diff
>> *
>>ERROR at line 1:
>>ORA-00966: missing TABLE keyword
>>=====================================
>>
>>So we know the syntax listed at otn:
>>
>>=====================================
>>"The COMMENT statement can be used to supply information about an
>>indextype or operator. For example:
>>
>>COMMENT ON OPERATOR
>>Ordsys.TextIndexType IS 'a number indicating whether the text contains
>>the key';
>>=====================================
>>
>>doesn't work.
>>
>>A trip to metalink only shows a single document under ORA-00966
>>that has nothing to do with commenting operators.
>>
>>Has anyone ever done this successfully? If so ... how? Thanks.
>>
>>--
>>Daniel Morgan
>>http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp
>>http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp
>>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)
>

> There are two different types of operators. You have operators that work
> with ConText, i.e. ORDSYS, and you have operators that work on regular
> old predicates. You created the latter. But it appears from your error
> message that you can only create comments on the former.
>
> Cheers,
> Brian

I'm not incorrect in my attempted usage. Objects of type OPERATOR stored in OPERATOR$ are all there is ... and user_operators is the window into created opertaors and user_operator_comments the window to the comments about them.

If no one has any more ... it is time to open a TAR and let someone inside Oracle sweat this one.

--
Daniel Morgan