Re: Converting ISO8859p1 to UTF8.

From: barryt <barry.trute_at_oracle.com>
Date: 10 Mar 2004 17:12:06 -0800

"|||Cypher|||" <ocotassonATnetcourrierDOTcom> wrote in message news:<404ef148$0$305$626a14ce_at_news.free.fr>...
> Hi Oracle Gurus & fellows.
>
> I have to export a Oracle DB (schema I should say) which character set is
> "we8iso8859p1" into an existing instance encoded in UTF-8.
>
> This generate data inconsistency and, therefore data loss.
> I did not find a way out so far. Neither did DBAs in my company .
>
> Did some of you come across such a problem ?
> Is there a way to solve it ? If so, please drop me a hint.
>
> Regards.

Hi,

Normally an export from P1 to UTF-8 should not have conversion problems though truncation can occur as 8 bit characters are converted to 2 bytes in UTF-8. Ofthen though invalid data does get into the database and can not be properly converted. To understand the issues and the possilble solutions take a look at the following white paper which can be found on the OTN globalization home page at: http://otn.oracle.com/tech/globalization/pdf/mwp.pdf Received on Wed Mar 10 2004 - 19:12:06 CST