Re: Oracle implementation question

From: Bib Endum <gd-newsgroups_at_spamex.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:02:12 -0500

"news.qwest.net" <goswell_at_hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:s_F3c.11$Yl5.19471_at_news.uswest.net...
> Hello,
> I am looking for some input from the community in regards to selecting an
OS
> for our potential Oracle E-Business Suite roll out. It has become
apparent
> that Solaris and HP/UX are the main contenders for our size. Can anyone
> give me some reasons/factors for deciding between HP/UX or Solaris, why
did
> you choose on over the other.
> Thanks you very much!

I have worked with Digital Equipment (I'm old!) that became Compaq, that then became HP. I've seen machines for which we paid a hefty price become obsolete/desuported/incompatible very fast in the transitions. I really liked DEC in the old days (OpenVMS and Digital Unix), it was not cheap, but it worked great. Too bad the new managment dumped such great technology as the alpha and storage works. If it wasn't for DEC, RAC wouldn't exist today.

I've since discovered sun machines and now have a lot of respect for them. I've heard so many horror stories in the early days of solaris. But now, it is pretty stable, and you can still use much of your old equipment and plug in new stuff on your old servers.

I was really annoyed when Compaq/HP decided tu ditch most of DEC's Storage Works technology at the time. We had invested a lot in DEC hardware RAID controllers (It was VERY expensive then) and we were left with an almost useless pile of expensive junk.

I've worked a bit with HP/UX at some point in time, and I was mesmerized at how bad their UNIX shell was. They probably got it fixed since then, and it probably wasn't as bad as AIX.

I have more respect for sun than for HP. I had more respect for DEC than for Sun. I have no respect for Compaq. Received on Wed Mar 10 2004 - 10:02:12 CST