Re: Migrate from solaris 2.8 to solaris 2.9

From: Sean Chang <sean_at_cnfei.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 13:32:00 -0500

Why do you need rebuild Oracle binary ( suppose you are talking about the same bits, like 64bit on both Solaris 8 and 9).

Solaris gurantees binary compatibilities between lower version and higher version,
all binary working under solaris 8 will be guranteed to work under solaris 9. I have
running production system this way for long time. Recently I also got system running the same way under Linux:
OS: AMD Opteron 64-bit RedHat AS 3: Oracle 9i will not link

                                        becuase its lib are in /usr/lib64
instead of /usr/lib
But I install it on RedHat 9(32bit), just copy all binary there, run a huge database
no problem whatsever..........

The question is: Have you run the same database long enoguh to conclude a rebuild is warranted: I got a Solaris 9 root disk crashed and switched to Solaris8
(originally from) and running on it for long time .......

! =-----