Re: Migrate from solaris 2.8 to solaris 2.9

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 00:00:44 GMT

rjp wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I plan to upgrade my os from solaris 2.8 to 2.9.
> I will reinstall Oracle binaries but does I need to migrate the
> databases ?
> Could I only cold backup the database and restore it after the os and
> Oracle binaries migration ?
> Does the datafile generated on solaris 2.8 coud work without any
> modification on solaris 2.9 ?
>
> FYIA
> rjp

You didn't specify a database version...so make sure that your version is certified with Solaris 9 before you begin.

The Oracle binaries do not need to be reinstalled. However, you may find it necessary to recompile them after the OS upgrade. To do that, perform the following:

  1. Shutdown all Oracle software
  2. cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin
  3. relink all

Your database datafiles don't care what version of the OS you are using so you won't have any problems there.

HTH,
Brian Received on Thu Mar 04 2004 - 18:00:44 CST