Re: Oracle 10G - Been There Seen That! <- posting just because of happiness and joy

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no_spam_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:33:29 GMT

tojo wrote:

> In article <1e8276d6.0402270745.5029274a_at_posting.google.com>,
> pagesflames_at_usa.net says...
>

>>After one of the most painful instalations of Oracle in my history, I
>>was successful and now I'm running Oracle 10.1.0.2 on Linux x86. It
>>took me almost a week to get it, to install it and five minutes to
>>find out the first bug in the SQL engine.
>>I was able to install this on Fedora Core 1 with no tweaking at all,
>>so thumbs up both for Oracle and also for Linux community. Instalation
>>process was futher simplified from Oracle 9i and also one disc release
>>is great (even if some important stuff is on Companion CD).
>>DBCA was rewritten with a brand new design, but is as buggy as always
>>been, so no big change here. I wonder if some day, maybe when 14L will
>>be released, I will be able to create a new database just using DBCA
>>and with no errors.
>>
>>--
>>Dusan Bolek
>>
>>Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
>>Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email is going to
>>be burnt as a SPAM.
>>

> I also installed 10g on Fedora Core without any problems whatsoever.
> BUT, I can only create a minimal database with DBCA with no options
> selected. Otherwise I get the infamous "end of file on communication".
> I've triple checked my kernel parameters, so I don't know whats going on
> there.
>
> I also can't install Grid Control on Fedora - it bombs during the link
> phase.
>
> What problems did you have?
>
> -- Tom

I've downloaded it, and just got my SuSE 9.0 pro installed, but havent found time to install it yet, perhaps next week if I ever figure out whats ailing SuSE 9, I dont think it likes the SATA drive I have even though I found a way to "see" and format it.

btw, is anyone trying for Howards 5K offered for a painless Oracle install on Linux?

cheers Received on Fri Feb 27 2004 - 10:33:29 CST