Re: Oracle On Compaq Server

From: Syltrem <syltremzulu_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:47:08 -0500

"Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> a écrit dans le message de news:403e6f69$0$49$cc9e4d1f_at_news.dial.pipex.com...
> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
> > We're talking Oracle here not MS Word. Do you really want your
> > production database running on a platform where at least once a
> > week you are instructed to apply a security patch and reboot?
>
> I have no problem with running production databases on Windows. scheduling
> maintenance windows is perfectly fine by me.

It's funny how people are willing to spend time rebooting windows and installing patches, sometimes a couple' times per week. And this is seen at "normal" maintenance.
I'm pretty sure the same people wouldn't accept to go to the mechanic to fix their car (or TV, or VCR...) that often. Most sure of this indeed.

I have Windows 2000 Pro at home. In the last 52 weeks, it crashed 21 times (maybe 2 of them were because of power failures) and the average uptime is a little more than 3 days. Longest uptime is 21 days (after which I had to reboot due to numerous stupid problems I was starting to get). And I *don't* play games, install strange software, or anything considered "risky". Strictly terminal emulation, Internet, MS-Office and burning music CDs. There's no way I would run a business on such a flimsy OS. In the office its the same (Win XP) but I don't collect stats here.

Just my 2 cents - a general reflexion not directed at anyone in particular

--
Syltrem

OpenVMS 7.3-1 + Oracle 8.1.7.4
http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS related web site, en français)