Re: Oracle On Compaq Server

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:55:30 GMT

AMIT wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am interested to know about Compaq server.
> I wanted to run my Oracle database version 9i (windows 2000) on Compaq Server.
> We are running a small business around 25 clients.
> Could some one suggest me, what serial and model we use?
>
> Thanks
>
> Kumar

Roughly the same as me asking:

I'm looking at buying a truck. Think Chevy is good. There will be 4 people who can drive it. I want to haul big stuff with it. Which model and engine should I get?

Selecting an appropriate computer generally requires some detail about load and use/purpose. You have not given any hint what you plan on doing with this machine. (Your comment about running Oracle9i is like saying I need a 'wide box on the truck', but still does not give an idea of how heavy the contents might be.)

You also have not indicated whether you are a dedicated to a specific Operating System (which usually implies Microsoft as those who don't mention the OS frequently have not investigated, and do not acknowledge, alternatives.)

You should talk to Compaq and ask a rep, since the rep (or at least his systems engineer) is 'trained' in asking the questions. Then, realising the rep will probably attempt to upsell, you probably want to look at the resulting advice as the largest machine required.

/Hans Received on Thu Feb 26 2004 - 09:55:30 CST