Re: Multiple Versions of Oracle Client

From: Bib Endum <gd-newsgroups_at_spamex.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:02:08 -0500

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> a écrit dans le message de news:1074184120.244168_at_yasure...

> I would be happy to explore upgrading you to versions of Oracle software
> supported in the current millenium and capable of performing what you
> want. ;-)
>
> If you are asking how to keep unsupported software working on operating
> systems on which it was never certified going forward I think you are
> just throwing good money (for payroll) after bad.

Yes Daniel you are right in the fact that you should not keep antedeluvian release for too long, but sometimes, you have to do so, not to mention that " end of life " product generally are pretty bug free. Also, even with 2 supported release you might end up with more than one oracle home on the client and get into some sort of conflict (Ex: forms6i client server (uses oracle 8.0 client) and oracle 8i client for an OCI or ODBC or whatever other app)

As for the original poster, I admit it is strange that oracle creates sub-branches in the registry for its oracle home, but keeps some stuff on the parent branch. We did notice that using the ORACLE HOME SELECTOR tool (Available with some products), in our case sometimes fixed some problems but I can't confirm that it might fix all the problems.

We also copied registry keys from the "top" branch to the oracle homes sub-branches (Eg: TNS_ADMIN and NLS_LANG keys) and it also fixed some problems. Received on Thu Feb 26 2004 - 07:02:08 CST