Re: Oracle support......

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 04:18:20 GMT

Hans Forbrich wrote:

> rich wrote:
>

>> Oracle support used to be simple:  Call 1-800-223-1711, open a new tar
>> and speak to a human. [...]
>>
>> Anyone else fed up with it?

> Yup.
>
> Just had a loop with them around installation of OCS R2 on Linux (UL1) -
> turns out the infrastructure will not install properly unless you have
> reverse DNS lookup which is not documented. Worked through this with
> the support people and finally installed DNS in the lab to get the thing
> working.
>
> Opened a follow up TAR to help them fix the documentation, and they are
> bold enough to a) tell me I used the wrong procedure to open a doc bug,
> and b) tell me that DNS and reverse DNS is not a requirement.
>
> Sigh!
>
> /Hans
> forbrich at telusplanet then_a_dot net

Agreed, they should definitely provide the information in release notes if a customer is willing to help them pin a problem down (and I have had similar frustrating experiences with mis-leading ORA- messages, for example).

But on the other hand, is it Oracle's fault that their in-house DNS is implemented properly and so many clients' aren't?

--Mark Bole Received on Wed Feb 25 2004 - 22:18:20 CST