Mechanism of building index with parallel

From: David <david_at_david.nospam.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:39:41 +0800

Hi all,

    COuld anyone provide me the information of how to handle the parallel option in building index in Oracle? For example, if I build an index with parallel 5, then 5 threads will do the job. Is 5 segments created (each doing a small part of data, and each is reading, sorting and writing), and then merge together? Or 5 threads each doing different part of job, such as one is reading the data, one is writing the data, one is sorting etc. I have the experience that when building index with parallel option, the file size need to build is larger (index tablespace, not temporary tablespace). When I build the index with noparallel, the index is created successfully without adding extra file on the index tablespace. Could anyone explain the reason behind this?

Thanks,
David Received on Wed Feb 25 2004 - 06:39:41 CST